Saturday 12 September 2009

TIFF: George Clooney is pretty



I didn't have any films on the docket for today and after sleeping in, eating lunch and catching up on the premieres of Melrose Place and America's Next Top Model (don't judge) I decided to swing by the Ryerson for the premiere of 'Up in the Air', the latest film from Jason Reitman that's on the schedule for next Saturday as my last film of the festival. Honestly, because I figured I shouldn't pass up the opportunity to see George Clooney while he's in town :-).


Other than grabbing pictures of people at screenings I'm attending, I don't really do much star searching at the festival. And I've never stood with the crowds at one of the red carpets so this was my first experience watching the action for more than the few seconds it usually takes me to walk by on my way into the theatre. I don't know that I'd make a habit of it, but it was a fun way to spend an hour on a lovely Saturday afternoon.

The carpet was busy and the crowds were huge. It's the first time I've seen the entire street blocked off in front of the Ryerson for a premiere. And among the group around me shouting at various stars as they talked to entertainment reporters across the way from us were definitely those that took the process of autograph hunting seriously.

Stars passing by included Vera Farmiga (that's her in the white dress above), Anna Kendrick and Jason Bateman (love him) who are all in the film but also a bunch of people who aren't including Amanda Seyfried who must have had nothing better to do today.

And George, oh George. Lainey has always talked about how professional he is and how he goes above and beyond to work the publicity for all of his films and I'm going to have to agree from my brief perspective. He showed up early and worked the line. And not the line of reporters waiting to interview him (though he did a very quick pass by and shook all of their hands) but the line of fans out on the street and all around the red carpet area signing what must have been hundreds of autographs even with a broken hand.


Jason was pretty obliging as well.



The ladies never made their way to our side of the carpet, but I can tell you they all looked lovely from behind :-)



I'm very much looking forward to seeing the movie next week. Here's hoping Jason Reitman goes three for three. Now I've got to get ready for dinner out and two movies and a baby shower tomorrow.

I'll leave you with the biggest red carpet disaster I saw all afternoon...



No, I can't leave you with that. How bout this one?

1 comment:

skripper said...

i love George Clooney, but I love Jason Bateman MORE. *Sigh*