Sunday 13 September 2009

TIFF: Bright Star and Whip It

Day 4 of the festival and two films on the schedule.





The first film of the day (and my first and only early morning film of the festival) was Bright Star, the newest film from Jane Campion (The Piano) about the life of doomed poet John Keats (Ben Whishaw) and his romance with Fanny Brawne (Abbie Cornish). The movie was great. Moving and well acted and beautiful to look at and I was a bit of a blubbering mess at the end of it (and trust me, that doesn't happen often).

I'm always appreciative when filmakers show up for early morning screenings so it was a pleasant surprise to have Campion there to introduce the film and talk a little bit about it beforehand. She and her producing partner discussed their inspiration behind it and spent some time talking about the difficulty they had in getting it made due to a combination of the subject matter (she assured us that she felt the same as likely most of us sitting in the theatre about poetry before this project) and the fact that they didn't have any marquee names for the poster.


By my thinking, her casting was perfect across the board. Cornish and Whishaw are great as the leads and have you completely invested in the story even though you know it ends with Keats' untimely death (I'll quote Jane Campion herself here and say I hope I didn't ruin that for anyone). I was mildly distracted throughout the film trying to place the actor playing the part of Charles Brown, Keats' friend and seemingly biggest source of financial support. 'Where did I know him from?' I kept asking myself. A quick IMDB check revealed him as Paul Schneider...most recently of Parks and Recreation, Amy Poehler's NBC sitcom. That was definitely not a connection that my brain would have made while watching this period piece so good on him :-).


The movie is out in limited release later this month and it's definitely worth adding to your list.




My second film was the premiere of Whip It, the directorial debut from Drew Barrymore and boy did she have crowd out to support her. It officially eclipses last year's Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist as the film with both the largest "Reserved" section and biggest group of cast member attendees I've seen at the Ryerson. Here were the cast member attendees: Drew Barrymore, Ellen Page, Marcia Gay Harden, Juliette Lewis, Kristen Wiig (love!), Alia Shawkat, Zoe Bell, Andrew Wilson, Daniel Stern, Eve, Landon Pigg and Carlo Alban. Along with Shauna Cross, the writer of both the novel the film is based on and the screenplay and Michael Cera and Justin Long just hanging out.

Unfortunately the entertainment of the star power in the room may have eclipsed the actual film. I had read 'Derby Girl', the novel that provided the source material, last year, loved it, and was very much looking forward to the movie. Maybe my expectations were too high. I definitely enjoyed it, and I hope it ends up being successful because there is always room in the world for a movie about young women doing things that they are passionate about. And I loved that, while there was a love interest for Bliss (Page), the story wasn't all about the boy which was nice for a change. A perfect slumber party movie...remember those??


The movie started 30 minutes late after a lengthy introduction from Drew including effusive praise of each cast member individually, which is likely why there wasn't a Q&A afterwards. Though Drew stayed in her seat in the theatre until after the lights came up and yelled out her thanks to the crowd.
And now I'm home and off to bed...three movies on deck tomorrow!

No comments: