Thursday 5 September 2013

TIFF 2013 - A Story of Children in Film



Well, it's that time of year again!  Not back to school or end of summer for me....September is all about the Toronto International Film Festival rolling into town bringing stars, media, tourists, lineups and almost 300 movies to choose from.

Following my usual process of pouring through the program book and spreadsheeting my way to possible choices, I firmed up my schedule to 20 movies over the 10 days of the fest.  I should interject here that I am pretty damn impressed that the move to online ordering TIFF made last year went as smoothly as it did and continues to work very well.  Though as an early ticket package purchaser I know I'm lucky that I don't have to sit in the virtual waiting room waiting to see what's available when individual tickets go on sale.

So, on to the movies....

Unfortunately, A Story of Children and Film was a bit of a letdown as my first film of the festival.  The documentary, written and directed by Mark Cousins, the movie uses the framing device of a home video of his niece and nephew to show the various moods of children and then cuts to numerous clips of movies that illustrate the particular mood or emotion.   I found the descriptions of the types of camera shots and filming techniques quite interesting but the movie seemed a bit meandering and many of the movies highlighted were way more obscure than I would have expected.

Cousins attended the film and I must say that I enjoyed the discussion and Q&A after the film more than the movie itself.  He is clearly passionate about the subject matter and was engaging and well spoken.  For the Q&A: B+, for the movie itself: C+

No comments: