Tuesday 22 July 2008

I know I am...but what are you?

I had an interesting moment of pop culture juxtaposition last week. I was in the the middle of reading Full Frontal Feminism, a book I was finding quite interesting. Though superficially aware of the issues that continue to face many women in their work and personal lives, I know I've lived a pretty cushy existence and have always pretty much taken for granted that I can do whatever it is I choose to do with my life. At the same time, I started watching the first season of Mad Men, the acclaimed AMC series about the lives of a bunch of advertising guys that takes place in the early 60s. Now, I know that this is just a television show but, man, how much would have it have sucked to be a woman born 50 years ago? (Not to mention any time period before that). The career prospects and comments made around the office, a pharmacist doling out birth control pills but warning not to use them lest you become a 'loose woman', the wife/mother role as the be all and end all of existence. The actresses on the show are wonderful but I almost find myself not liking their characters because I want to give them a shake and tell them to give the men in their lives a smack and tell them to smarten up and treat them like people.

Is the fact that I find the show (while very well done) to be so misogynistic a testament of how far we've come (and not in a Virginia Slims kind of way) or am I just being willfully ignorant about the fact that women still face these issues today?

I've had conversations with friends about the idea of feminism and heard a lot of the "Well, I'm not a feminist...but" type of comments (which is also a point that Valenti makes in the book). Why are we so seemingly scared to call ourselves feminists? Why is it that identifying yourself as such seems to automatically also classify you as a bitch? And why, as smart successful women, don't we consider it our responsibility to make sure that other women have the same opportunites?

So yes, I am a feminist and not afraid to call myself one. And in what is possibly the online posting I've forwarded most frequently over the years, I'll let Sars explain why you are too.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love this post, love the link. We need more discussion like this! And I'm not afraid at all to call myself a feminist! :)

heather said...

Yeah, I have found myself saying 'hell yeah' while reading tomatonation a lot over the years :-)

Anonymous said...

Ditto - I've never looked at it from this perspective and it makes you sit down a think for a second. When did it become less socially acceptable to be a feminist and why do the stereotypes exist?

Thanks for giving me something to think about on my flight home other than what clothes I'm going to bring to my Cottage/Toronto excursion.

Anonymous said...

Love this post. Last month, I was looking to read Revolution from Within by Gloria Steinham and had to go to Amazon because I couldn't find a bookstore that carried it. And its not in the library. And I don't live in the deep south. What's up with that?

Anonymous said...

Possibly my favourite TN essay of all time. Another, of course, is the one about everyone's favourite four-letter-word:

http://tomatonation.com/?p=592